Your Vaccine Support Partner Program
Help Chicago elders receive life-saving vaccines as soon as possible!
Elders aging alone rely on their Little Brothers – Friends of the Elderly family — especially throughout the pandemic.
Now, through Your Vaccine Support Partner (YourVSP), LBFE’s newest program, elders in their 70s, 80s, and 90s can count on LBFE volunteers and staff for help navigating the registration process to secure vital vaccinations.
We know scheduling vaccine appointments is even more complex for elders living independently without computers and/or smartphones. And some elders have limited, if any, transportation options to get to vaccination sites. Thanks to the support of our volunteers, LBFE is here to help our elders every step of the way to being fully vaccinated!
What does YourVSP do for elders?
- Provide COVID-19 vaccine education, appointment scheduling, and safe transportation for eligible LBFE elders — those who live in non-designated senior residences in Chicago.
- Launch and maintain a system to recruit trustworthy, reliable volunteers and pair them with elders who need vaccination assistance (help scheduling appointments, assistance with transportation to appointments, or both).
- Voluntarily (and legally) capture vaccination data on elders, staff, and volunteers.
This elder scheduled her second vaccination dosage on site at the United Center,
which was very well-organized and well-staffed during her first appointment.
How can you help our new YourVSP Program?
As you’re seeing in the news, conditions keep changing for distributing vaccines in Chicago and Northwest Indiana, so LBFE is responding daily to determine what’s best to do to help our elders.
If you’re interested in helping the YourVSP Program, please start by contacting us to find out what help is needed to support our elders in receiving life-saving vaccinations.
To contact LBFE: Please call 312.455.1000 or email: LbheIFC@yvggyroebgurefpuvpntb.bet.
Through YourVSP as of 3/24/21:
Total elders assisted
Elder receiving assistance to get on waiting list
Elders placed on waiting list
Elders secured vaccine appts
Homebound elders surveyed for vaccine appts
Elders receiving LBFE ride to/from appt
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How does an elder get connected to a VSP volunteer?
A: LBFE’s VSP Program is designed to help elders who are living independently. LBFE will reach out to our seniors to tell them about the VSP program, assess their needs, and get them connected to a VSP volunteer.
Q: When does the VSP Program begin, and how long will it be available?
A: The program started in March. We plan to serve eligible elders for as long as needed to ensure every elder can receive life-saving vaccinations to be protected against COVID-19.
Q: Where can elders and others find credible information about COVID-19 vaccines and the vaccination process?
A: It’s best to start with reliable medical and scientific sources, including these:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: CDC.gov
- Illinois Department of Public Health: dph.illinois.gov
- Indiana Department of Health: coronavirus.in.gov
- Chicago Department of Public Health: chicago.gov/city/en/depts/cdph.html
- Illinois/Chicago information about the United Center vaccination site, scheduling through zocdoc.com, and more: chicago.gov/city/en/sites/covid19-vaccine/home.html