Your Vaccine Support Partner Program
Our elders are connected to vaccine support through LBFE
Elders aging alone rely on their Little Brothers – Friends of the Elderly family — especially throughout the pandemic.
Now, through Your Vaccine Support Partner (YourVSP), LBFE’s newest program, elders in their 70s, 80s, and 90s can count on LBFE volunteers and staff for help navigating the registration process to secure vital vaccinations.
We know scheduling vaccine appointments is even more complex for elders living independently without computers and/or smartphones. And some elders have limited, if any, transportation options to get to vaccination sites. Thanks to the support of our volunteers, LBFE is here to help our elders every step of the way to being fully vaccinated!
What does YourVSP do for elders?
- Provide COVID-19 vaccine education, appointment scheduling, and safe transportation for eligible LBFE elders — those who live in non-designated senior residences in Chicago.
- Launch and maintain a system to recruit trustworthy, reliable volunteers and pair them with elders who need vaccination assistance (help scheduling appointments, assistance with transportation to appointments, or both).
- Voluntarily (and legally) capture vaccination data on elders, staff, and volunteers.
This elder scheduled her second vaccination dosage on site at the United Center,
which was very well-organized and well-staffed during her first appointment.
How can you help our new YourVSP Program?
As conditions change for distributing vaccines in Chicago and Northwest Indiana, LBFE responds to determine the best way to help our elders.
If you’re interested in helping the YourVSP Program, please start by contacting us to find out what help is currently needed to support our elders in receiving life-saving vaccinations.
To contact LBFE: Please call 312.455.1000 or email: LbheIFC@yvggyroebgurefpuvpntb.bet.
Through YourVSP as of 3/24/21:
Total elders assisted
Elder receiving assistance to get on waiting list
Elders placed on waiting list
Elders secured vaccine appts
Homebound elders surveyed for vaccine appts
Elders receiving LBFE ride to/from appt
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How does an elder get connected to a VSP volunteer?
A: LBFE’s VSP Program was designed to help elders who are living independently. LBFE has reached out to all of our seniors to assess their needs and connect them to a VSP volunteer when needed.
Q: When does the VSP Program begin, and how long will it be available?
A: The program started in February. We will continue as long as needed to ensure every one of our elders who wants a vaccine receives one.
Q: Where can elders and others find credible information about COVID-19 vaccines and the vaccination process?
A: It’s best to start with reliable medical and scientific sources, including these:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: CDC.gov
- Illinois Department of Public Health: dph.illinois.gov
- Indiana Department of Health: coronavirus.in.gov
- Chicago Department of Public Health: chicago.gov/city/en/depts/cdph.html
- Illinois/Chicago information about scheduling through zocdoc.com, and more: chicago.gov/city/en/sites/covid19-vaccine/home.html